5/29/2015

Churros

First of all: this was my second time making churros and yes, I am happy with the way they look. No, they aren't the prettiest churros alive but boy were they delicious! I am sorry for them to look like someone's thumbs but... Looks don't matter these days, do they? Well, at least they're not effecting the taste. And of course, you can make them even better!

(Here is supposed to be a picture of the delicious creation I made but I might have accidentally deleted it, my apologies for that.. I'll find it and put it in here ASAP.)

So, first tame making these was a total disaster. The dough was runny and we were not able to pipe it, so me and my friend simply put little lumps of dough into the grease using SPOONS. And you can only imagine how they turned out.. A. Disaster. But, in the end, they were actually really tasty!

This time, the only thing that went wrong was using a tip which was way too large and frying them a bit too long. Otherwise they were perfect.. And not only in my opinion, but my whole family's opinion. I tried to save a few of the churros for my boyfriend who was coming on Friday. Literally everyone were asking me things like:

"When can I take more?"

"I've only eaten like four and dad ate six that's not fair."

"Seriously when can I eat the rest of these?"

Most of the times it was my dad asking..

My tips really for this recipe are to use small enough tip and NOT using an electric mixer at all. This recipe turned out to be actually a very good arm exercise.. At least for me.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup water
  • almost a stick of butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
For frying
  • 4 cups canola oil
On top of the churros
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions
  1. In a medium kettle mix together water butter and and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and take off the stove. Add all-purpose flour and keep mixing hard with a wooden spoon until a big dough ball appears. In a separate bowl add the eggs. Whisk with a fork a few seconds to break the yolk. Add the eggs to the slightly chilled dough and mix hard with the wooden spoon again. Put the dough into a piping bag with a small-ish star tip.
  2. Heat the oil in a cast iron pan to 170-180C/340-350F. Pipe about 4 inches long dough sticks carefully into the hot oil. Cut the dough with for example scissors and fry the churros about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
  3. Once you have fried your churros place them on of a plate with paper towel on it. It soaks the excess grease. After that, before the churros have cooled down, mix the sugar and cinnamon together and cover the churros with the mixture.
  4. Enjoy warm or cooled down with chocolate sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment